The Center for Computational Biomedicine (CCB) is a new center at the Harvard Medical School (HMS). Our mission is to provide cutting-edge computational capabilities, data analysis, and data integration technologies to support medical and biological research. We are a multi-disciplinary team of computational and quantitative scientists who work collaboratively both within the center and with members of the HMS community.
We seek a highly motivated, collaborative individual with excellent communication skills to join our team of technologists and scientists as a Senior Software/Data Engineer. You will help to design and implement novel solutions to standardize (meta)data using ontologies, with the goal of integrating large, complex, heterogeneous datasets. The datasets include healthcare insurance claims, electronic health records, genomics, environmental exposure, among others. The integration of these data will support large-scale epidemiological research in precision medicine, healthcare, and basic science, all with the goal of improving patient outcomes.
In this role, you will leverage ontologies and automated reasoning to develop sophisticated data and knowledge discovery solutions. Your work will use a wide variety of technologies, including ontology APIs and tools (e.g., OWL API, owlready2), public and protected relational and graph databases, and containerized services. You will have strong skills in Python or Java, and research experience or experience working in a research environment. You will be able to work independently and collaboratively on scientific and engineering problems and deliver solutions.
MS in Computer Science or related field, with expertise in knowledge representation and reasoning. 5+ years of relevant experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Proven understanding of Web Ontology Language (OWL) ontologies, description logics, and reasoning.
- Strong software engineering experience in Python or Java.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience with software versioning and testing paradigms, including git or similar.
- Experience developing tools that support user interaction.
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases (RDF/property graph, key/value, document data stores).
- Familiarity with the Protégé ontology editor, querying ontologies using description logic syntax, and use of reasoning systems.
- Ability to work in teams.